Lots of people cook, but not everyone can bake. There is something really wonderful about baking. I love the smell of aromatics from the kitchen, especially on a toasty morning with chilly briskness in the outside air. Using pastry flour adds an extra touch of yumminess, especially for those who eat carbs on rare occasions! And it’s sugar-free! Yummy!
The beauty of a just-out-of-the-oven scone cannot be understated, because it’s just pretty, warm and wonderful! So without further ado, here’s my original recipe:
Organic Blueberry Orange Walnut Scones
3 cups pastry flour + 1/4 cup
1/4 cup stevia (equivalent volume-for-volume to sugar)
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup softened butter, organic
3 tsp tangerine peel, shredded + 1/4 tsp tangerine juice (organic)
3/4 cup frozen blueberries, organic
1/2 cup walnut pieces, organic
1/2 cup + 2 tsp milk, organic
2 eggs, organic
1 tbsp stevia powder (equivalent volume-for-volume to sugar)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Using parchment paper, line a cookie sheet or broiler grill.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and sift.
- Add butter and mix until a crumbly dough forms.
- Add orange rind, juice, berries, walnuts, 1/2 cup milk and eggs.
- Mix it until a sticky dough forms, using care not to overmix. If you see the dough turn lavender, stop mixing.
6. Turn the blueberry orange walnut scone batter onto the parchment paper.
It will be sticky.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to top of round.
- Use flour-coated hands to shape into an oblong round about 1-1/2″ thick, using another 1/4-1/2 cup to form.
- Cut into strips and divide into thirds (see photo). The strips will bake together, so it is okay to widen the distance between doughs a touch, if you would like.
- Brush the top with remaining 2 tsp milk. Sprinkle with stevia granules.
Bake 17-21 minutes, until corners are browned. Makes 15 scones.
Serve warm fresh out of oven, together with a cup of coffee or tea – sure to be a morning hit! Be certain to serve with coffee, tea, or milk, because all scones are made to accompany a drink, as they are naturally drier than a muffin.
~ ~ ~
Recipes by Dr. Margaret Aranda:
Articles by Dr. Margaret Aranda:
Free Consultation with Margaret Aranda, MD, PhD – Age Management Medicine