Studies show that 7 minutes of high-intensity interval training, HIIT, three times per week is as effective as 60 minutes of cardio five times per week. Set your intensity, total time, work-to-rest ratio, and combine with warm-up and cool-down. A sample HIIT Formula is below:
10 Health Benefits of HIIT:
- Increase oxygen consumption. Keep utilizing oxygen, even hours after a workout.
- Burn more calories. Versus a traditional cardio workout, burning calories with HIIT can last up to 48 hours.
- Increase metabolic rate.
- Lose fat.
- Build lean muscle. Muscle mitochondria activity increases moreso than regular cardio, helping you to keep or build muscle mass, instead of losing it as your weight drops.
- Boost Human Growth Hormone (HGH).
- Reduce abdominal fat. Decreases visceral fat surrounding the liver, kidneys, adrenal glands, and 27 feet of intestines.
- Improve insulin resistance with metabolic syndrome. A study of 22 sedentary adults age 63 showed that after 6 weeks, increased insulin sensitivity and oxygen uptake occurred, with a decrease in cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, abdominal fat, and total % body fat. A study of sixty-six subjects with metabolic syndrome (not yet with type 2 diabetes) improved the quality of insulin and its effects at 4HIIT. A 2017 study of 65 patients with metabolic syndrome showed low-volume HIIT (51 min/week) was as effective as high-volume HIIT (114 min/week) or moderate-activity, continuous training (150 min/week).
- Improved cardiorespiratory fitness and glucose levels in women. Versus moderate cardio, a study of short-term HIIT in 18 obese, young women found the workouts were perceived to be easier and more time-efficient.
- Improved resting blood pressure. A study of 39 aging, sedentary, aging men, improved resting blood pressure, cardiovascular function and metabolic activity.
Talk to your doctor about the benefits of high-intensity interval training.
~ ~ ~
Recipes by Dr. Margaret Aranda:
Articles by Dr. Margaret Aranda:
Free Consultation with Margaret Aranda, MD, PhD – Age Management Medicine